In 1612, Emond Bertelin constructed it. His daughter and son-in-law, Charles-Henry Malon de Bercy inherited it later. Charles-Henry was the Lord Marquis of Bercy and the Intendant of Finances. Jules Malon de Bercy, their son, commissioned the addition of a perpendicular wing in 1683. The wing overlooked the garden and was designed by Pierre Delisle-Mansart, a renowned architect. Delisle-Mansart was a member of the Royal Academy of Architecture. He was also known for designing the mansion of the prior of the Order of Malta located in the Temple enclosure in 1699.
The Malon de Bercy heirs sold the mansion to Marquis de Méréville. He gifted it to his daughter Suzanne upon her marriage to Pierre-Nicolas Bertin. Architect Pierre Jacquot de Villeneuve rebuilt it in 1725. The mansion now features a beautiful portal sculpted by painter Louis Le Nain. Le Nain is renowned for his paintings found at the Louvre Museum, including The Norman Bride, The Forge, and The Peasants' Meal.
Behind the name
In the 18th century, two upper floors were added to the mansion. Bertin's daughter inherited the mansion after his death and married Marquis Gouvernet Jean-Frédéric de la Tour du Pin. The mansion became known as the Hotel de la Tour du Pin. Jean-Frédéric de la Tour du Pin, who served as the Minister of War for King Louis XVI, was executed on April 28, 1794.
The Knights Templar, a military order of knights, built a fortified church in 1240 in the Marais, a neighborhood located north of the walls of Paris. This church, which is now known as Square du Temple, is a 10-12 minute walk from the apartment.
The old road that led to the Temple and its tower was called Rue Vieille-du-Temple ("old road of the Temple"), which dates back to the 13th century.
The Duke of Orleans got assassinated on Nov 23, 1407. The incident happened near Hôtel Amelot de Bisseuil, a block away from his apartment. This event started the civil war between Armagnacs and Burgundians.
On June 6, 1882, they demolished the Effiat Marshal hotel on Rue Vieille-du-Temple. The demolition created Rue des Écouffes. During the demolition, they found a copper container. Inside the container were 7822 gold coins dating back to the 14th and 15th centuries. The discovery led to the new street being named "Rue du Trésor."
The Knights Templar built a fortified church in Marais district, now Square du Temple. This area became popular as Quartier du Temple. The apartment is a 10-12 minute walk from there. Several religious institutions were built, including convents and churches. The name "Quartier du Temple" is still used today.
King Henri IV of France commissioned the Place Royale, now called Place des Vosges, in 1605. It is located in the Marais district and was a popular residence for the French nobility. The area boasts grand mansions, including Hôtel de Sens, Hôtel de Sully, Hôtel de Beauvais, Hôtel Carnavalet, Hôtel de Guénégaud, and Hôtel de Soubise.
In the late 18th century, the Marais district lost its status as the most fashionable neighborhood for the nobility. However, it maintained its reputation as an aristocratic area and continued to be a place where nobles could socialize. While only lower-ranking nobles and a few higher-ranking nobles lived there, the Place des Vosges remained a popular gathering spot for the aristocracy.
Over time, the grand mansions, or hôtels particuliers, in the Marais were restored and transformed into museums. Today, the Marais is a thriving and culturally significant neighborhood, known for its high-end restaurants, fashion houses, and art galleries.
We’re currently offering the perfect 2-bedroom fractional ownership Paris apartment.
Be sure to sign up to receive the latest updates on our luxury Paris fractional ownership France listings at a fraction of the cost!
©Fractional France 2023. All rights reserved